Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Journal Update

A few years ago(2008 to be exact) I made a book to use as a journal. I decided to dedicate it to faces and proceeded from there. That lasted about 4 pages! It became more of a notebook and one I wasn't too proud of so I decided to make it a "sample" book. I was at a Stamp show this weekend in Pa and one of my favorite vendors, Stamp Camp, was there. I bought lots of stamps including the red queen and saying from Alice, a Harlequin background, a lovely saying, and some birds. I also got an order in of new Sizzix dies and Ranger/Tim Holtz products. I couldn't wait to play with them so decided to make some journal pages. The If I was queen is the first in my revamped journal. Stamps saying, Harlequin background and queen from Stamp Camp, flourish Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous. Flowers, leaves, green fourishes and Iron fence (Tim Holtz die) cut with Sizzix - the purple one thanks to another blogger Neil for the idea - is the small wings from the butterfly die. All the inks used are Ranger, most Distress inks. All the embossing powders (including UTEE black on the fence and white on the saying) are Ranger. Lots of stickles too. The crown was a stamp from the dollar bin at Michaels. What a find!
The embossed flourish on the birdhouse birds is Zing EP and the birds were cut with my Cricut (Serenade Cartridge). The rusted heart was from the clearance bin (I bought 50 of them at about 2c each! at ACMoore)and then added some Distress EP Tea Dye, Tree Sizzix Tim Holtz die, leaves Uchida punch, flower on top is cut with another new Sizzix die (not the Tim Holtz one). House is embossed with Cuttlebug, colored and embossed with Distress ink and Powder. The background paper is wrapping paper from the dollar store and colored with Adirindack Inks. Punches, house trim, flowers on bottom side are Martha Stewart. The little house is more of the same products just different colors and styles. The twill tape sentiment I purchased from a ribbon store. Love it! Also got a reel with the alphabet on it. The hearts are embossed fun foam with Stamp Camp stamp set (LOVE These!!!) and colored with Ranger inks and Perfect Pearls. The birds and saying are from the new Stamp Camp stamp. Aren't they great? The wings I added and are stamped with stamps from a Paisley set I purchased at Michaels. Something new - cling rubber. The trees are from Sizzix Tim Holtz Branch tree die. All the birds were stamped on black paper and colore with embossing powders. The saying was stamped with Lettuce Adirondack ink, embossed with Utee and then colored with Tea Dye Distress ink. The background was embossed with a Cuttlebug folder and colored with Ranger Ink. Now I have to clean up the mess I made!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Working with Paper - again!

My Husband's brother got married last weekend. Wish I could have delivered it in person but we just couldn't get to Colorado with my MIL. So sad we couldn't share this happy occasion with them - and meet my new SIL. But I did make them a card. Hope they like it!
Since I had all the paper stuff out, I decided to play a bit. I wanted to make a little 3D house. There were a couple challenges on some groups I belong to so I thought this would be good encouragement. I started making a birdhouse then decided to make it a shadow box (actually recycled packaging from a toy purchased at the dollar store!). I used some new Tim Holtz Dies and Distress embossing powders and pads and some new Martha Stewart punches. I had such fun I kept going and made a total of 3 houses. If you would like to make you own, I have created a tutorial and pattern here for the basic house and the embellishements I used.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

New Purse

A while back my stepson who works at Pottery Barn gave me a bag of discontinued fabric samples. I have slowly been using them. There are some coordinates including a brown and greyish aqua paisley and stripe. I love the paisley and decided it would make a wonderful purse. I fussy cut one of the paisleys large enough to make a pocket for the front and then beaded it. Of course I had to add sequins. After it was done, I found a great piece of broken jewelry in my stash that would have worked perfectly in the center of the paisley. Oh well - next time! I took the purse with me to the quilt show today because I was hoping to find a new longer set of straps but the ones I saw weren't much longer and they weren't suede - the fabric is chenille and the suede goes perfectly! I really like how it turned out. The front measures 9.5 x 10" and it is 2" deep. I thought it would be small, but I fit my small sketch book, wallet, calendar, camera, cards, cell and a few other odds and ends in it. I do like a smallish purse. I need to make a new clasp though. One that mimics the paisley.
I also took lots of pictures of the Hoffman Challenge Dolls that were on display. I am so amazed at the caliber of these dolls. Every one is a work of art. I have set up a webpage so they can be viewed better. Check them out here