Sunday, February 19, 2012

More about the Books

I also created inserts for each page of the books.  The pages measure about 4.5 x 6.5" so a 4x 6 photo would slide in perfectly.  The front side of the insert I used patterned paper that I altered with inks and cut the tops with various MS and EK Success punches.  The backs were all done with Stamps, Ranger clear embossing powder (I found with experimentation it is the finest and sticks the best for my purposes) and inks.  The top tags which are muted colors are for the green book, the bottom tags are for the pink/orange book

I also have pics of the boxes.  I put a label on the top of each with the recipient's name.  the label was cut from Sizzix Alterations Book Plate die and then treated with Ranger Ultra Thick Embossing powder and Gilders Paste.  No, I am not affiliated with Ranger - I just love their products!

The fabrics were from my Hoffman Challenge prize package for my 2011 doll.  These fabrics are so beautiful - the colors are rich and they feel like silk.
Inside the boxes are printed cardstock that just blended perfectly.  I constructed the boxes from chipboard and adhered the fabric with glue just on the wrapped corners, bottom and inside where it is wrapped.  I wanted to make sure no glue showed through.  The papers on the inside were adhered with Tacky glue.  I would have used Gel Medium or Yes paste, but it doesn't have the permenance of adhering paper to fabric as I would like.  I also treated the inside cover the same.

I have also been working on a few class proposal for AFIC.  I have one project done, not I just need to do the other.  Any Twilight fans out there?  Been thinking of doing an After Bella doll - as I see her from reading the books.  We will see how she progresses,  I plan on using lots of techniques so each student will be able to create their own fabric from basics like satin and organdy and not be so locked into what is on the shelf.  She is already sketched out.  Just not sure about her shoes!

Saturday, February 18, 2012

More Books

I have two very dear friends who are always there for me to lend support, an artistic eye, and general joy.  I made them each a Friendship picture book and storage box for a gift.  I used some vintage pictures, favorite quotes and added photographs.  I changed the colorways and some of the embellishement techniques so each book wouldn't be the same.  I used some of the wonderful fabric I received from Hoffman to cover the boxes.  I used lots of embossing powders, Stamps, Crackle paint, inks, stains, gilder's paste and mica powders.  also lots of dry embossing and border punches.  The binding technique was adapted from a book designed by Laura Dennison of  Here are some pics.
Front covers
Inside front covers, page 1
Pages 2-3
Pages 4-5
The labels on the covers were texturized with Ranger gold and silver UTEE then some color was added with Gilders Paste.  The tiles are Tim Holtz Fragments with pictures of various ArtBra projects adhered with Perfect Pearls.  The pages were colored with Distress Inks as were the insets.  Used lots of Ranger Perfect Pearls, Dimensional Pearls and paint dabbers on the frames throughout the books.

The upper frame of the the yellow pages was made from Sizzix alterations strip die cut from cardstock covered with foil and colored with Gold Alcohol ink.  The bottom yellow saying page has Sizzix alterations on the edge Iron Gate embossed with Gold and Bronze UTEE then some black gilders paste.  I really like layering the UTEE on to get a really thick coat with lots of texture that is enhanced with the gilders paste.
Pages 6-7
the green pages have one of my favorite pictures and sayings (by Albert Camu).  the small flowers are cut from vellum stained with Distress stain.  The wings have crystal stickles on them.  the upper frame is embossed with Ranger Verdigris - another favorite product especially applied over copper Paint dabber.  The hand on the blue pages is from a Cuttlebug die that embosses and cuts.
Pages 8-9
Pages 10-11
pages 12 and inside back cover
Back covers
The frames around the ladies are braid covered with Ranger Glossy Accents.  All the insert pages started out solid colors then were stamped with Stampers Anonymous (Tim Holtz) Music, or flourish stamps, clear EP, then colored with distress inks. 

Monday, February 13, 2012

Playing with fabric, stencils, inks and sprays

I am working on a prototype for a class proposal and decided I didn't have the right fabric in my stash of a gazillion batiks so I took a scrap from the Hoffman Challenge 2011 fabrics, some Ranger Adirondack and Perfect Pearls sprays, distress Stains, and a stencil and started to play.  First, I needed to soften the shade of green so I used Old Paper, Tea Stain, and Vintage Photo Distress Stains.  Wet the fabric, dabbed the stains on a Craft Sheet and then mushed (technical term) the fabric in it.  Squeezed the fabric, added more water and stains until the fabric was totally covered.  Ironed it dry.  The color was perfect.  Then because I have a problem cleaning my workspace as I should (BAD habit - I clean my work table only when I am desparate or expecting company!) and I couldn't find the stencil I wanted to used but did find the one I use when doing eyes, I did some spraying to add more interest.  I turned the stencil over and dabbed the excess on the fabric too - loved how it blotched and created a reverse image.  Sprayed lots of Perfect Pearls mists to give the fabric that diamond dust look.  When I was done, I gave it a light coating of Clear Krylon spray to make sure it was permenant.  Love the look!  And it was so easy and quick with these products - no dyes, lots of highs and lows of the colors.  Next I may have to try it with a real stencil if I can find mine.