I keep meaning to post the wonderful pics people send me of the dolls they make with my patterns. Unfortunately, I am not that organized. I did keep a file that sadly was lost on my old computer last October. So, I am going to make the effort to post. So here are a few pics. Alison Ward made this beautiful version of One Kiss Is Not Enough! Love the colors, her hat, shoes and the changes she made to the outfit!
Here are some pics of a mermaid made by Sue from the Kalamazoo class. She came out beautiful! Again, nice color choices! She is from my Soprana pattern.
II taught a wonderful group of ladies this doll. We shopped at the Artsy Soul for embellishments such as bead caps (Colleen has such a great selection in all sizes, shapes and finishes), charms trims, and crystal embellishments. We explored creating unique fabric collaging with stamps, stencils, Distress inks and stains, Viva embossing creme, precious metal colors, and glitter gel, and Inca Gold paint/rub. We used flocking to create shoes-coloring ir with alcohol inks and adding fine glitter for a subtle glow. The students also drew and colored the faces and all did a great job - including Gita who was a first time doll maker! Here is a pic of us and our creations. Thank you ladies for a wonderful class. Missed you Jane. Hope you are feeling better soon. Pictured me, Margaret, Gita, and Maria.
I really love teaching and making these books. They are really small, pages measure 4.5 x 3" and are made from watercolor paper, colored with distress stains, Inca gold used as watercolors, twinkling H2Os and Luminarte acryllics, Viva embossing paste used as a resist, stencils and stamps. Again, layering colors and textures.. The cover fabric on this book is linen (which shrunk! but I cut the cover boards too big so it worked out) dyed with Distress Stains and Luminarte Acryllics (don't know if these colors are available anymore), embossed with Viva Embossing paste and then further highlighted with Gilder's paste and Copper Inca Gold. Love doing all the layering. Adds such interest. The overlay is cut from Soda Cans, embossed with the Cuttlebug Fleur de lis folder then I loaded it up with embossing powders so it would have an old Hammered tarnished brass/copper look. First layer of embossing powders were Judikins Rusty Tin and Hammered Nail (LOVE THESE) that I placed in the recessed areas. Then using Ranger Copper and a perfect Medium pen, did the Fleur de lis. Added some Ranger Gilded Gold embossing powder highlights, and also Krylon Copper Pen. Finishing touches Patina Gilders paste. The metal was then glued to double layer of chipboard and all the edges covered with Judikins Embossing Powders. The strap was from a leather mini skirt I held on from my youth. I sanded it then hit it with Rust Nail Distress Stain and various colors of Gilders paste. The clasp is a new finding from The Artsy Soul, Manahawkin, NJ as was that awesome heart lock that actually opens! LOVE it. The key is Tim Holtz Ideaology and the cross on the binding is from the Clearance section at AC Moore about 2 years ago. One of the students, Serena, did a beautiful book with music notes on the cover. She colored her embossed metal with Ranger Metal Patinas then sanded it to reveal the Music in silver. Interested in a class? Contact me or the Artsy Soul.
Last Saturday I took a class at the Artsy Soul with Clay Artist Doreen Kassel. Her small dolls and ornaments are just wonderful. I don't work in clay - just can't stand the feel of it, but loved her dolls enough to be motivated to take the class. It certainly was a learning experience for me learning what I can and can't do with clay (of course I was more in the can't do arena!) and Doreen was a patient and considerate teacher. I did tell her I was Clay Challenged! The head was sculped over a glass ornament. I also had a calamity with my doll (so what else is new) which meant I didn't get the opportunity to finish her using the oils furnished by Doreen, so I improvised when I got her repaired at home. I used Luminarte Perfect Pigment Acryllics which gave her a shimmer. Considering her theme, I think this was appropriate. I think I will try a clay project - maybe book covers - with polymer and oils. I named her "Lucy in disguise with Diamonds" originally but may change that to "Sunny disguised in the Stars". I like the doll, may make it in cloth. I also included a pic of her without the mask too.