(http://www.dollstreetdreamers.com/mermaid-challenge/ ) so started with a head I already had (I posted it before and said it would make a good King Neptune!) and decided it needed a crown. Here is a pic of the materials I used and of course the finished product! You can see I cut the soda can with a Sizzix/Alterations/Tim Holtz on the edge die. I backed that with grunge board cut the same. Used that instead of chipboard because it is flexible. Glued them together and then added brads to make sure they stayed that way. Applied lots of paints starting with Gold Metallic spray Krylon, then Ranger Antique Gold Embossing Powder and finished with Gilders Paste and Aztec
Gold rubs. Really like how it came out. Here's a closeup.
The rest of the doll is another story! LOL. Let's say I got carried away and he has another purpose in life which is not going to be for the intended challenge. I used lots of different materials and techniques on this doll because of the necessities to make him King Neptune. One of the things I did was get this odd looking fish from a local florist shop. It is made from Styrofoam and painted with yellow and orange stripes. A few coats of Precious Metal Gold, Olive, and Asure blue and you would never know it was the same fish! Sorry I didn't take a before pic.
I mailed off Bliss without actually replacing her hands but I did doctor them up a bit. I will be happy if she travels. I have been asked if she will be a pattern and the answer is probably not. I can tell you her legs which I made from scratch could have come from Dances With Butterflies reduced 10%. I made new legs because I forgot about that pattern and I wanted them to be long and shapely. I probably could have used the legs from Frost but again, I like to make more work for myself.
If you would like to see some of the Hoffman Challenge Entries, Deanna Hogan is kind enough to create a special page each year on her website. These dolls are just amazing!