Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Another Metal Book Class Sample

When I created the Copper Fleur de Lis book, I loved using embossing powders to create color and texture.  I am teaching this class again on Monday and decided to do a sample for those who may not be into the grunge thing.  Also gave me a chance to play with some of the new items Colleen has in her store, The Artsy Soul - some new to me and some new to the store.  The first thing I did was create the cover and the book.  I tried a new process so the fabric doesn't shrink and it dries faster.  Also didn't want the chipboard to warp.  This time, I glued the cover together then used sprays on teflon sheet to dip the book in.  A little misting of water and the colors spread really well.  It all dried with a little bit of ironing but no shrinkage, no warping, and the cover was done faster.  After that, it is time to get out the stencils and the embossing paste.  LOVE using that stuff!  Pages also done the same way so the watercolor paper dries much faster.  Of course, lots of stenciling with Viva Decor Embossing paste to act as a resist.  Also used Ranger dimensional paint which worked well too.


I embossed the soda can cut to size for the cover with a folder with a spray of leaves.  I then pushed shades of green embossing powders into the leaves and stems.  Then using Perfect Medium, added some of the new Ranger Gilded Gold embossing powder.  Love this!  Such a soft color and left some of the silver can show through.  Then I got really ambitious and covered the whole thing with Judikins Fluxe clear Enamel Resin  I mixed in a few drops of Latte alcohol ink to give it a yellowed/brown tint which softened the colors perfectly.  I added some lovely new bead caps that I bent to fit around the corners to finish the metal piece off.  Almost looks like clossionne.  Next was the center front embellishment.  These pieces, the backing filigree circle, the filagree flower and those awesome brass leave, small flower lock and the little bells in the center are all new to the store.  I used Gilders Paste and Inca Gold to color them.  So now to put it all together and decide what I am going to do with the spine and clasp!  Stay Tuned!

No comments: