Tuesday, February 17, 2015

New Doll! Finally!

DollMakers Journey is sponsoring a stitch along with my Flirty Flora Pattern on Facebook (page name is Doll Maker's Journey Work Along -Stephanie Novatski's Flirty Flora).  It starts officially March 1, but I thought I would get a head start.  I decided to make Flora a Snow Queen because of all the snow we have had, are having and will be having for like forever! Here she is in pieces so far.
I wanted her to white with shades of lavendar-grey.  Her legs are a grey petit floral print that I added an overlay of pearlescent sheer.  Here is how I did it.
First, I layed out the legs on a doubled piece of fabric to determine the size of the overlay I would need.  Then I cut a piece of the sheer the correct size, Placed it on the right side of the leg fabric, basted the two together down the center, refolded in half. laid out the pattern pieces again and sewed the legs.  The rest is done per the pattern.
Her body is a white with crystal/silver glitter, her arms are white and cream printed with glitter outlined leaves.  I used Pimatex cotton for the head and wondered why the shape was a little odd until I realized the fabric is preshrunk since it was prepared for dying.  I prefer the fabric straight off the bolt.  Oh well, hair hides LOTS!

I wanted her face to be very white so used cool colors for her shading - Blue, lavendar, Purple, Grey tones.  Her lips are pale pink with an over coloring of lavendar on the bottom and purple o the top lip.  Her lashes are done with blue ink.  I cut the hands out of the same fabric.  Haven't turned them yet.  Before I cut them out, I will take the largest turning tube I can and slide it up the fingers to stretch them as much as I can before I cut and turn them.

2 comments: