I have been cleaning up my studio - now stop laughing! REALLY I have! and I found a headless doll that I was making as a Christmas gift. I didn't like the way the bust came out on this - too high I think and VERY zoftig but it doesn't look so bad now! I wound up using the original head on another doll where it fit much better. I was trying various heads on it from my bucket of heads and found one that actually works! It is the head I made for Patti Culea's class and then covered it with fabric as an experiment. The spool is actually a large pin cushion. Had some fun with her hair. I started by doing the drizzle stitch ending in a drop bead and decided it would take me a few years to cover the entire head so I needle felted some wonderful wool from Colleen into the head and then added the drizzle stitch strands. I like how this looks but probably should have used heavier thread (I used a #12 pearl cotton. #8 would have filled in better). Next time.
I also found a reject head that I had set aside to use for a practice cloth over. I drew a face then tried to interpret it in cloth. I think I like the expression on the cloth head better - more old wise than mischievious. Here is the sketch. Here is the reject head with the eyes ready for the plastic set in eyes. Here is the finished head. I used mostly chalks and chalk pastels to add color. Like how soft this looks. I think I will try doing cloth over clay over cloth next. Good practice and I certainly have enough reject heads to practice on.