Monday, November 16, 2009

Working With Paper


Before my surgery, I started a project using a technique from the June/July 2009 issue of Quilting Arts. Jill Kennedy described her process for creating an embellished and embroidered patchwork paper collage from construction paper, crayons, inks, iron on interfacing and Wonder-Under. she also created embellishments using a sewing machine. I just loved her finished pieces so had to try a few myself. I created the background, started embroidering and planning and sort of hit a wall. Then my friend Colleen gave me Stitch with the Embroiders' Guild June/July 2009 (this is the magazine from the UK) and on the cover was a lovely piece that used collage fabric for the background and had lots of dyed lace and freemotion embroidery. I have sooooo much dyed lace, I thought the paper fabric would make a great background for a purse. I don't know how sturdy it is, but I really love the way it turned out. Embellishments include dyed lace, sequins, machine made lace and flowers, beads, charms, and a dragonfly pin. the top edge and handle were made from pony beads threaded with tulle with thread scraps stuffing. I also added ribbon to the strap to give it strength. I just love it. Infact, I loved it so much, I made some more background "fabric" in green and constructed a "Casket". It is embellished with lace, sequins and beads. It is lined with hand painted and dyed fabric that I treated with Paverpol to stiffen it and give it body. The "handle" on top is also stiffened with Paverpol. All the lace was hand-dyed and guilded. Much of it was vintage - like the pink tatting on the front. The background fabric was machine embellished with lots of bobbin work. the hinge holding the top on is made with beads.



I loved making the background so much, I have started some that will look like metal - hopefully! - when it is completed. I think I will be using it for a mosaic type collage quilt.

3 comments:

Shashi Nayagam said...

Glad your health problems are behind you. Oh my your talent is awesome. Love your work.
The doll club journals are fabulous too.

Unknown said...

Glad you are doing better! feeling better now. OMG! The purse and box are downright GORGEOUS! WHEWWW!
FABULOUS!
hugz
Pam

Colleen Colquhoun Athens said...

Are you kidding me? I 've got to open that magazine up!!! haha.... all I can say is WOAH!!!!! Amazing.....Lets do a "Tiny" pocketbook class! I would like to make mine in the shape of this little leapord bag that i have ....soon as you get better!!! love Colleen