Monday, December 7, 2009

Getting ready for the Holidays


First, thanks for all the wonderful comments about my paper purse and box and all the well wishes. I am feeling better every day and have been getting back into creating - working on Christmas items. I need an ornie for a swap and a hostess gift among other things so I thought these would be small items to start on. The first ornie started life as a clear glass ball. I saw this originally on Carol Duvall and always wanted to try it. The inside is coated with glue, then sprinkled with mica powders. Once this is dry (and this takes at least 24 hours! Ask me how I know!) I added white pearl paint to fill in the blank areas. Once that was dry (another 24 hours) then I did a bead netted cover.









The second ornie is a Victorian Angel using left over lace pieces from the purse and box. I also entered her in the Michael's contest so I would love it if you would vote for her by rating her. the link is http://www.michaelscontest.com/uploads/2224 I am making a few more of these. The face is from a pic I did of the Madeline Ragalia doll with a few modifications. I am finishing up another one and want to do the next in paper.









I also bought a new toy on Black friday. Joann's had the Cricut Personal cutter on sale for a great price. My friend has had one for quite awhile and I love what she was doing with hers so I figured I had to have one. I really wanted the one by Xyron that you can create your own designs with but it is about $300-400 - a bit out of my range. However, I have learned there is software made for this machine for about $75 that allows you to connect via USB to your computer and create your own designs. How cool is that!!!! Can't wait to get the software. Of course I started to experiment and decided to try my hand at making my Christmas cards. I really wanted a snowflake, but didn't like the ones on the Cartridges my friend loaned me but did like the wreath, christmas tree, and dove so made my cards - lots of them. The pic is a sampling: the snowflakes are cut from a Sizzix cartridge and the gold tree is hand cut from the scraps of the green paper then spray painted. I love the embossing folders too - mainly use the Cuttlebug ones. Lots of glitter and mica powders to add color.Can't wait to send them out.

2 comments:

Dolores said...

Gorgeous cards.

Colleen Colquhoun Athens said...

The Cards are "OH MY GOSH" fantastic...They really are little works of art! Guess i gotta make something like that! haha...ps..i bought my pack of construction paper, and I'm ready to make and emboss some of that beautiful paper fabric you did! colleen