Sunday, May 5, 2013

New Class and Finished Book

When I teach a book class, I also make one to demo on.  This one I got as far as stitching one of the signatures in.  Colleen was making hers a Rose book and I loved that idea so I stole it.  Originally was going to put a trellis on the front with the roses climbing up it but decided a house would be more fun to make.  The book cover fabric and pages were colored with Dylusions sprays, Distress Stains, and Viva Decor Modeling Paste (LOVE this stuff!!!)  The Sprays are usually VERY intense colors, but watered down and applied with a sponge brush, they are very soft.  The house is cut from a soda can with Sizzix Alterations die Dwellings, used the Movers and Shapers to add the windows.  Embossed with Sizzix Alterations Brick embossing folder, colored with Ranger Metal Patinas, and then sealed with Judikins Clear Glaze.  The pictures in the windows are from various Graphic 45 papers.  The roses are paperclay, colored with Viva Decor Inca Gold (it comes in many colors and has Mica in it so it shines) Rose, Gold and a mix of the two.  They were made using molds Colleen imports from Japan.  They are so detailed!  And so many sizes of roses!  The little leaves are cut from doubled Aluminum tape cut with Sizzix die #657017 Frame, Leaves & Flower.  I love these dies - small items but steel rule die so they cut metal, chipboard, etc. besides just paper.  Got lazy and wanted to do something different with the strings so twisted and glued them together using Tacky Gel clear glue (my favorite) and then twisted it into a rose, added some more leaves.  The leaves were colored with Ranger Metal Patinas also.  The outside cover leaves were done with a stencil byBalzer Designs, Leaf Frame.  I used Pearl Molding Paste colored with Green Perfect Pearls.  Just love how it came out!

Next item I finished is an altered book (National Geo Journal from Michaels which are on sale at my store for $2 ea!).  I made one initially with a small doll on the cover and was asked to do a class so I needed to streamline the class a bit so we could get it done in one day.  As it is, I seal the covers with the Gel Clear Tacky and that needs to dry overnight then add a coating of Distress Rock Candy Crackle Paint.  Students will have to do that at home. 
The inside endpapers are from printed cheap scrap book paper.  It is the perfect weight and size.  I like altering this paper.  I used two methods, the method on the left is using clear gesso, and clear embossing powder, the method on the right is clear gesso and Picket Fence Distress Stain.  Both were done with stamps.  Like the stain because it is semi opaque so the original design of the paper shows through, but not much.  Color on top is Ranger Adirondack sprays and Dylusions sprays spread with a foam brush. 

Here is the book outside done.  The fabric cover is muslin colored with Dylusions sprays in a rainbow.  The letters are from Sizzix Alteration Word play die cut from chipboard with book pages glued on.  The center book plate is from Alteration Large Tag die.  The word Art is paper clay letters molded using a mold I have had FOREVER!!!  Colored with Viva decor, first a layer of Hematite to fill in the letters, excess wiped away with a damp cloth, then Rose, Violet and Blue added.  The back work is a Sizzix Alterations Movers and Shapers die. edged with an Alterations border die.  After all the letters were in place, the entire cover was covered with Tacky Gel Clear Glue.  I stuck some charms in to fill in where needed (most colored with Ranger Patinas).  When the glue dried, a layer of Crackle paint was added.  I think we will have fun with this book!  Class is Thursday, June 6, 2013 at the Artsy Soul, Manahawkin,  NJ.  Call 609 539-6350 to schedule or email them at


Colleen Colquhoun Athens said...

This is such a colorful and vibrant book..The class seems to be "Chock Full " of techniques!!! Cant wait for this one!!!!

Shashi Nayagam said...

It is beautiful!