When I created the ArtBra "Closet Cowgirl" I wrote a poem to go with it. While the bra was on display in Texas, I received an email from someone who said she and her friends were very touched by the poem and could they have a copy. So, I thought I would make a little hanging with the poem with some inspiration from KC Willis and my dear friend Vickie. Also, a tut on the rolled muslin flower was posted on a blog I follow http://craftingwithowse.blogspot.com/ though I used regular glue and no cardboard base (mine is smaller too). This just meant I had to use Muslin for the project. I printed out a picture I liked (Rose Dunne, the Rose of Cimmeron - google her-very interesting!), my poem and I also used my print program to create the striped fabric. I used Tim's mini scroll mask for the corners and made pale stripes with inks and a sponge brush. I placed the muslin background on a piece of felt and stiched around the scrolls and added stitched lines. The picture, poem and words were hand sewn on with a piece of felt behind them. Everything but the pearl buttons is colored with Distress Inks including the lace and ribbon. The plaque it hangs from is a Tim Holtz die and wood grain embossing folder, the smaller plaque is a sizzix die made with 5 layers of cardstock and the words applied with gel medium transfer. The chains are also Tim Holtz. Learned lots doing this and can't wait to try it again. Since I did a print out on paper as a test, next one will be paper. Following is a tut on how I made the small flowers. At the scrapbook show there was lots of trim with little rolled raw edge flowers. This is my version.
|First step is to tear a stip of fabric about 1" wide x 8" long and cut it in half so you have two strips 1/2" wide. Color with Distress Inks (I used dried Marigold, Worn Lipstick, and Tea Dye).|
|With Heavy thread, fold one short edge of the fabric, secure the thread and make a running stitch about 3 thread from the cut long edge. Gather to 4".|
|Put spots of glue along the stitching and roll up the strip.|
|Press the bottom together. And there you have a rose. I also trimmed off all the extra threads|