Thursday, October 31, 2013

Progress on Shabby Chic Steampunk doll

Her head is pinned in place as is her swag.  I am pleased with her shoes though I think I need to do something to define the heels.  I got that beautiful Cluny. Lace from two shops on Etsy, Little Red Cottage and Closet Treasures. I do have lots of Cluny, but all narrower than I needed.  I really love the two different laces together.  Next is her corset and I plan to make that. Out of metal tape witha copper patina finish.  I think she will have cuffs on the sleeves out of the same.  That beautiful embroidered floral lace was the color inspiration.  It was a gift from a very talented dollmaker Tammi VanderArk.  The copper lace trim on her boots is the same lace on her bodice and swag but dyed black, then painted with copper penny metallic paint.  I hope I made enough for her wrists and neck too.  Nothing like planning ahead!  She is also very snooty!  What a mood I must have been in when I did her face!

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Three days later, a face!

   This is why I hate clay! Takes so much longer, I hate to sand, and it can't use my beloved colored pencils and pens!  And this clay is soo soft!  I kept digging my nails ino it and having to fix, sand,paint, sand again!  Finished face though I may change the eye color - they are more grey than blue - and some in progress shots.  Now on to the costume!  Shoes first I think.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

More work on steampunk diva

Body almost done.  Just need to sew the limbs in place and re sculpt the bust-the bottom and carpet cord I used broke!  I couldn't find my quilting thread which works so much better of me.  Need to sand (yuck!) the face though I will probably do a cloth over.  I need to even out the lips and nose.

Monday, October 21, 2013

New Doll in Progress Just Because....

I received this beautiful lace from Tammi in Michigan.  She used it on her Diva doll during class in May and I must admit I lusted after it! LOL  She so generously sent me a piece of it along with quite a few others that were just as pretty.  I decided I needed to do a new Steampunk version of my Diva Pattern.  I wanted to use Purple, Copper and Cream.  I also wanted to test this fabric I purchased at Joann's.  I bought a bolt (50 yds!) of Southern Belle Cream 200 ct cotton muslin.  It was only available by the bolt.  I have used it on the body, head, and hands (which I haven't turned yet) and so far so good.  Thank goodness!  50 yds will last a long time.  Here is a sketch and some of the fabrics I have pulled out for the doll.  The lace from Tammi in on the lower left, with the the purple flowers.  I think I'll do paperclay over on the face because I need the practice.


Thursday, October 10, 2013

Finished Journal

Finally!  Working on completing this so I could post but ran out of light yesterday - I only work in natural light - and I had to cook dinner!!!  So today, got up to work on this at 7 am, but the weather is so damp, nothing was drying without the help of an iron or heat gun.  But finally, here is the finished Journal (the peace sign is in honor of John Lennon who would have been 73 yesterday).  I like that this journal cover is fluid - I can add to it or have a guest add to it!  I was going for a NYC subway graffiti look though if I remember correctly, these tiles are more like the inside of the Lincoln Tunnel which are square.  But I think this works.  Embossed the paper with ink on the embossing folder.  Added lots of product over the covers including gel medium, crackle paint, Inca Gold Old Silver paste, and cream gilders paste. following pics show how I created this.  Hope to see you in the class on October 29th at the Artsy Soul, 59 North Main Street Manahawkin, NJ  Class size is limited to 8 students.  I am showing only one possiblility for the cover, but it is only limited by your imagination.  If you plan on attending the class, drop me an email and tell me what you have in mind so I can be sure to have embossing folders and papers that would work for you.


Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Preparing for new Create an Art Journal Class

While at the Scrapbook show last Friday, I found these little brown kraft paper sketch books (they measure about 5"x 5").  I wanted to try a new layered technique to look sortof like grafitti.  I thought this would be a good option to use on the sketchbook I am designing for class.  Spent all of yesterday cutting up pages from 18" x 24" sheets of mixed media paper.   (acid free, nice weight)  Some of the pages will open from the sides, others from the bottom.  The books will measure 5" x 7" with a 2" spine and contain 8 x 2 sheets for each signature.  I wanted to allow for chunky pages so the book wouldn't expand too much.  Here is a pic of the "grafitti" experiment.  I used cardstock for this sample.  Layer 1 was distress ink, layer two was stamped with stazon black ink, layer 3 was matte medium sealer, layer 4 was done with stencils and distress ink and adirondack and dylusions sprays.  Layer 5 was crackle paint and the final layer more matte medium though I will use gloss varnish on future versions.  
I painted the spine of this little book with gold paint and attached chipboard to stiffen the covers.  Perfect for carrying in my purse.  The sketch books will have woven osnaburg covered spines and covers made from 5" x 7" canvaspanels.  I'll share a pic of the spine with pages attached later, and then the final sample.