Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Preparing for new Create an Art Journal Class

While at the Scrapbook show last Friday, I found these little brown kraft paper sketch books (they measure about 5"x 5").  I wanted to try a new layered technique to look sortof like grafitti.  I thought this would be a good option to use on the sketchbook I am designing for class.  Spent all of yesterday cutting up pages from 18" x 24" sheets of mixed media paper.   (acid free, nice weight)  Some of the pages will open from the sides, others from the bottom.  The books will measure 5" x 7" with a 2" spine and contain 8 x 2 sheets for each signature.  I wanted to allow for chunky pages so the book wouldn't expand too much.  Here is a pic of the "grafitti" experiment.  I used cardstock for this sample.  Layer 1 was distress ink, layer two was stamped with stazon black ink, layer 3 was matte medium sealer, layer 4 was done with stencils and distress ink and adirondack and dylusions sprays.  Layer 5 was crackle paint and the final layer more matte medium though I will use gloss varnish on future versions.  
I painted the spine of this little book with gold paint and attached chipboard to stiffen the covers.  Perfect for carrying in my purse.  The sketch books will have woven osnaburg covered spines and covers made from 5" x 7" canvaspanels.  I'll share a pic of the spine with pages attached later, and then the final sample.

No comments: