Monday, April 16, 2007

I Can't Believe it's been two weeks!


Where does the time go???? I can't believe it's been two weeks since my last post. In my defense one word--taxes! I did get some stitching in though. Made a few more scissor fobs for my EGA's Merchandising table at the Metro Regional Seminar which is April 27-29, 2008 at HAMILTON PARK HOTEL AND CONFERENCE CENTER, FLORHAM PARK, NJ.

I also attended a meeting of the Mt. Vernon doll club. What a super friendly and talented group of ladies! I delivered Oprah and my friend Linda from Garden State Doll Artisans who made the trip with me also donated a doll for the cause. There were 4 dolls donated that day--all of them just wonderful. Delores, despite her sore foot (stepped on a needle which broke off in her foot OOOUCH!) showed us how to make moccasins. I sort of threw together a doll to bring to the meeting to learn this on. She is adapted from a new pattern I am working on and I wanted to try a new pose--kneeling so I cut the leg at the knee and made it in two sections. Still needs work, but the execution and the knees worked well. Since I made her from off-white polished cotton, I had to give her some color and since I did her face while at the meeting, I though this would be harder than it was. I just painted around her eyes and mouth before doing the needle sculpting. I used watered down acrylics paint and more or less stained the fabric rather than actually painting it. I probably could have stopped at two coats but somehow I got blood above her eyebrow so 3 did the trick. She's OK, but I should have used a soft chamois for her dress--I used a knitted suede which has the right look but the fringe isn't all that stable. I also used crochet cotton for the hair which I think is too heavy. I still need to mount her on a final piece of wood so I can glue down the fringe on the "rug" I wove from worsted wool. She is about 8" tall in her kneeling position. I gave her fringed boots instead of moccasins, but the process was pretty much the same. Good thing her dress hides her body because I didn't make any adjustments to it for her position so her butt sort of sticks out! Enough wining!
Linda and I also took advantage of the nice weather and went to the Lancaster Quilt show Saturday. Seeing those quilts displayed--I wish I had the patience! I also got to see my dear friend Victoria Adams Brown from Ribbonsmyth (http://www.ribbonsmyth.com) --she of the Art Bra Calendar fame not to mention her two books on Silk Ribbon Embroidery. I am sooo impressed with her talent and energy not to mention how nice a person she is. The Art Bra Collection is going to debut at the Walnut Street Gallery, 319 W. Walnut St, Perkasie, Pa opening Sunday, May 6th. Some of the Gallery artists made pieces such as jewelry using the bras as inspiration. There will also be a poster available--all to raise money for Breast Cancer. To see the bras, visit http://www.wtww.org
Enough for now--this post is long enough. Also don't forget to vote for your favorite doll in the National Dance Week Cloth Doll challenge at http://thedollnet.com/dance/

No comments: