Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Life Intervenes

My 87 yr old mother went in for a serious but fairly routine surgery on June 26th. She has been in the hospital (except for a day and a half) eversince. She required another Major surgery on July 7th and spent 2 weeks in ICU on a vent. She is doing much better now and should be heading for a rehab center today or tomorrow. They call her a miracle because she had a heart attack and by all accounts should have died. Thank goodness for the Cardiac Drs and Surgeons at Jersey Shore University Medical Center. The nurses have been wonderful too. Here is a warning ladies: She had NO symptoms of a heart attack. She was tired and had trouble moving but felt NO pain or shortness of breath. Good thing my father and I got her to the dr. She had an appointment follow up for the first surgery but we ended up in Emergency. I have been at the hospital every day and caring for my Dad (88) who is pretty much lost without my Mother.

During this time, I had NO land line phone service on my 2 lines for over a week thanks to Verizon and their horrendous repair response. I was even told by a Repair Service CLERK that he showed my line working and he wasn't going to dispatch. After being on hold for over 9 minutes, I had to hang up because my cell battery died. I wrote 3 letters to the Board of Public Utilities--who NEVER responded either though I did get a call from Verizon President's office from a Mrs. White regarding the complaint. I even told them I was the sole emergency contact for my Mother and I also cared for my MIL, 91 with dimentia who had no way to get in touch with me since I had to leave her home alone for hours at a time. I also received NO follow-up from Mrs. White and the number she called from had no voice mail. I retired from Verizon. I did the calls as a response to BPU complaints. I would NEVER have been so callous and un-responsive. So much for customer care.

Ok. I am off my soap box now. I just need to fight them for a credit on my bill. Sad I see this as a battle and they don't see it as their responsibility.

2 comments:

Kathy Raker said...

I am so sorry to read of your Mother's surgery, complications and your problems with Verizon. I wonder at times about the loss of compassion in todays world. They certainly were aware of your circumstances. It is good news your mother is able to go to rehab.

Anonymous said...

I hope everything works out ok with your mum. bloody phone companies