Friday, May 2, 2014

My 2014 Hoffman Challenge Doll Journey Part 1

When I first saw the fabric, I thought immediately of Mexican Pinatas and Dancers.  The colors are wonderful and I love mandalas.  I drew out a few sketches, most of them destroyed and wasn't happy with any of them.  I didn't want to go for the obvious.  This one is for a wizardess.  
 
Then I saw a feature on 60 Minutes about 2 bullfighting brothers in Spain.  I in NO WAY condone or support Bullfighting in any way shape or form, but was totally dazzled by these two handsome young men and the dazzling "Suit of Lights" they wore.  I decided some day I wanted to make a  bullfighter doll - just for the costume.  I started researching the costumes and the postures.  First, the gentleme.
Then the pose I fell in love with though to fit on a base would take some tweaking.

Of course there could be no swords!  And this view too
So, I made a sketch and realize in NO WAY did the challenge fabric relate to my subject matter, but I proceded anyway.
And so began my journey to creating a doll that should be named "What Was I thinking??!?!?!?"

1 comment:

Mary Ann Tate said...

My freind lived in Spain and while she didn't condone bull fighting she thought the matadors were very hunky. All the drama and posing. The buzz around them is huge. Like movie stars....lol.