Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Secret Garden Doll Almost Done


I have been working on this doll on and off for the past few days - mainly because the base and gate took a long time to dry. The base is wood covered with paint, a mix of cut-up straw, wool fibers, and glue, gel medium, and more paint. The gate is floral wire, apoxy sculpt and paint. The grasses growing around the gate are from my back yard. I dried them and sprayed them with lots of coats of clear and hopefully they will hold together though I may go to the store to see what they have in the dried area. So far, I have used only materials I have had on hand. All the clothes fabrics are from my stash of vintage fabrics collected at various flea markets. The hat is two small straw hats I took apart and remade into one that fit her. I did buy the key though. May also add a vine or two to the gate but I like the airy-ness of it. What do you think?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

As usual... I am just in awe...She is g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s! Honestly, do you think you could arrange a trip for me through your mind...just for a few seconds...lol.... I love your work! I wish I could take one of your classes...as I would really like to make a doll for the Hoffman challenge...maybe next year... and I could benefit from your wise words and work on the props for your wonderful dolls! Again...just love her! I love the key she is holding in her hands...great idea

Bonnie Lee Fontaine said...

Stephanie, she is perfect! She reminds me very much of Mary. I love the base as well. If I were you, I would put more dried stuff for strength and stability, but I aree with you about the gate. It is nice to be able to see Mary through it. Lovely, lovely! :o)

Nita Butler said...

She is brillant Stephanie! You did an awesome job on the gate too! WOWZER!

Mary Louisa said...

I have seen this doll in person and she perfect. The creativeness of the gate is wonderful. It is a moment in time, right out of the book.