Monday, April 1, 2013

Verna - Bead Joint Doll Class At the Artsy Soul

A few weeks ago, I taught this doll to a wonderful group of ladies.  We all had fun with the doll and the ladies were all very creative in their costuming.  I premade all the body parts and the ladies added the shoes, strung them, stitched the fingers, added hair and drew and colored the faces.  I was making a doll along with them for demo purposes but also because I needed a little something for a gift.  I decided to make a few "alterations" to Verna and with the aid of Distress stain and ink here is the result.  Her necklace is a small ring of skulls - how cool is that!!!! from the Artsy Soul .






Here are the  Altered version and the original Verna,  and some close ups of her face and necklace.
Believe it or not, her body fabrics are the same.  Amazing what a little black ink will do.  I also blacked the back of the confetti dot fabric on her underskirt.  It was originally red, like the dots!  I painted the beads and caps with Ranger Black metal patina.  Don't you love the little clay bows on her shoes?  Colleen was kind enough to mold them for us from one of the molds she sells.  So Cute! Her Fascinator is a large bead cap with tulle threaded through and feathers and a gem added.  Her hair is two layers of wool, first is black llama the second is dyed sheeps wool.  I just LOVE those skulls!!!!